9 Jun 2009

The Media Ate My Brain

By Ben Pobjie and Cam Smith
A wrap-up of the week in media from Ben Pobjie and Cam Smith
G'day, gentle listeners, and welcome to the debut episode of The Media Ate My Brain. In this exciting chapter, Ben Pobjie and Cam Smith ask:

Is Australia a racist nation? Is it more racist than...Iceland?

Was The Chaser's "Make A Wish" sketch WRONG? Could it have been improved by mocking real terminally ill children?

Are the people writing letters to the NT News and Stock & Land doing a massive amount of speed? When will our say-lots-do-nothing Government act?

AND are media empire executives with big, bushy mustaches funny? (SPOILER: YES THEY ARE.)

So brew up a hot mug of Red Bull, gather the little ones around the Wireless Home Audio System, and settle in for a relaxing 39 minutes and 51 seconds of delicious podcast.

(running time 39 min, 19mb)

amazingdave
Posted Tuesday, June 9, 2009 - 23:58

This is quite possibly the most offensive thing I have ever listened to.

geordieguy
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:39

@amazingdave: That's unfortunate.

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:21

.."people who say, 'let me get this straight' are the scum of the earth?"

..."drunken skanks and boguns"?

..."car bombs outside an abortion clinic..."?

There are too many offensive remarks in here to highlight them all, and people are morons for hating The Chaser? And you two laugh at your own pathetic, feeble attempts at humour.

If you think the crap they spouted last week was even remotely funny then it makes you two as bad taste as they are. .

I listened to about halfway through this and couldn't listen any more. I can't believe you two were even put behind the microphone for this. It is amateurish and boring - the first 30 seconds was enough for me, much less 30 minutes...sheer torture to say the least.

And never heard of Cam Smith - don't care to again either.

This offensive rubbish is going straight in my recycle bin - and look at that, RealPlayer cut out anyway.

Not going to respond to any deabte over my opinion so don't bother.

camsmith
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:29

I'm sorry you didn't like it, Jacqueline, but I don't think it's really fair to pass judgment without listening to the whole thing. If you only listened until halfway you have definitely not heard the most offensive bits.

invig
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 13:56

I was offended like, 85 times.

Mostly I enjoyed it.

A couple of times I didn't.

But they may have been because I wasn't listening carefully enough to get the full impact of the offensive statement.

invig
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 14:06

Maybe we shouldn't give lots of money to dying kids...except that the people that really benefit are the parents and family; poverty stricken by the illness, unable to help their kids have a bit of fun OR participate in society. Feeling both guilty AND isolated. That's not good.

But I reckon the heaps more important point is all the oldies with brain disease who can't walk or talk or wipe their ass. Put them out of their pointless fricking misery.

Hit that one up, Chaser.

weez
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 14:21

I only listened to the last 8.3 seconds and I am so offended that I am no longer able to see.

That's right, I'm <em>blind,</em> goddammit.

It's all good fun- until SOMEBODY LOSES AN EYE.

Or two.

Dr Dog
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 14:49

This podcast, just like the Chaser, is just a couple of university educated, naughty, white boys giggling at each other's purile attempts to satirise their betters in the media.

Thankfully I am a purile, university educated white boy, so I found it pretty funny, although it was lacking some pace at times.

camsmith
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 15:18

I don't think Ben has been to uni. I've only ever been to TAFE.

So fie on you, Dr Dog. The pace may improve as we hit our stride, but no promises.

@Weez - bad taste, dude.

camsmith
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 15:27

Actually, maybe he has. I have no idea, I'm not his secretary, Dr Dog. You ask a lot of questions.

amazingdave
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 15:33

This made me physically ill.

"The sketch ended by saying something like, 'What's the point of getting them anything, they're going to die anyway.' People seem to be forgetting that this is a reasonable point."

As Kevin 747 would say: HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 16:26

Cam

"I’m sorry you didn’t like it, Jacqueline, but I don’t think it’s really fair to pass judgment without listening to the whole thing. If you only listened until halfway you have definitely not heard the most offensive bits.

This is the guy we are talking about at the end, for the record: http://tinyurl.com/sweetmochasebro"

I worked in radio for 20 years as a broadcaster and trainer so I pretty much know whether I like something within the first few seconds of it being uttered - go figure, huh. I also know a fumbling amateur when I hear one (or two) and therefore I rest my case.

To each their own - some found this funny or found something about it to tickle their funny bone. It quite frankly annoyed the hell out of me because it was unformatted, lacked tautness and smacked of indulgence that excluded the listener and backslapped the speakers.

Three of the fundamental rules of broadcasting I taught my trainees (more than several of whom in fact, have professional careers in the electronic and print media) so that was offputting even before I started to try and decipher the rubbish you were talking.

If you two want to talk between yourselves a podcast is not the way to do it - you want to talk TO and not talk AT a podcast/radio audience you need to learn how to include them. Very big difference. It's the same as excluding the person in front of you in a radio studio while two mics are open - it's ignorant and it's rude.

You seem to think everybody finds your sense of humour acceptable because you laugh at your own comments and think it's funny how much more offensive you can be so I can assure you, I have no intention of listening to the rest of it, thanks all the same. In any case, it's gone to the recycle bin like I said and later, I'll be taking out the trash.

I would suggest that the media did in fact eat your brain and that is the reason for this self-indulgent rubbish.

By the way - I can train anyone in the art of on-air technique, providing they have the willingness and aptitude to learn :)

Dr Dog
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 16:40

Does Ben have a secretary? Did they go to university? You are short on answers camsmith.

Don't listen to literaldave, he may have swine flu. The podcast only made me slightly queasy.

invig
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 16:41

Jacqeline,

Two words: 'generation' and 'gap'

I am willing to put money on the fact that all your 'successful' trainees are the worst instances of baby-boomer-pleasing wankers that grace our televisions.

Thank God the internet means I am not beholden to people like you, with your prissy, stuck-up, condescending attitude.

Listening to these two leaves me happy and energised. Engaged.

Perhaps they aren't obviously inclusive, or perhaps your brain is just wired differently. I felt included all the way along.

Like I said, generation gap.

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 17:03

invig

Generation gap, well, that's completely irrelevant when it comes to a sense of humour but can't help what you think.

"I am willing to put money on the fact that all your ‘successful’ trainees are the worst instances of baby-boomer-pleasing wankers that grace our televisions".

Who the hell are you to judge me? You know nothing.

I am neither prissy or stuck up and you don't know me from a bar of soap so if that's the way you want to go, so be it - I couldn't care less. Sticks and stones. I'm having my say the same as anybody else.

If you feel energised listening to these two then I rest my case - and by the way, this is another classless comment:

"But I reckon the heaps more important point is all the oldies with brain disease who can’t walk or talk or wipe their ass. Put them out of their pointless fricking misery".

Agree to disagree and move on.

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 17:10

Oh and speaking of ignorance, invig - it is JacqUeline, not Jacqeline.

invig
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 17:24

This comment has been deleted because it was offensive.

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 20:23

Community-ordered euthanasia, eh??

Well, looks like it's too late for you, then ;)

Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 20:31

dis-INVIG-orated

;)

Thankfully when I am old and grey and gibbering I will have already forgotten your name ;)

(oops, looks like amnesia has already set in ;))

Crazy Elf
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:25

"One of them is in fact a very high profile Nine sports commentator - so I guess you are calling him a wanker, , well, ignornace is bliss."

Hang on, isn't he a rapist?

- <a href=http://crazyelf.livejournal.com>Got Elf?</a>

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:02

Crazy Elf, your name says it all.

You have no idea who I'm talking about.

Your arrogance is only exceeded by your ignorance.

BPobjie
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:15

I watch a lot of sports on Nine. Every single one of their commentators is a wanker. Without exception. Seriously, the standards are appalling. Do keep talking yourself up. Jacqueline.

BPobjie
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:17

I did go to uni, but I never finished.

That's OK. Celebrities such as myself must get used to these obsessive fan crushes.

camsmith
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:56

Hey Jacqui, sorry if I misled you before - when I said I was sorry you didn't like it... I was being sarcastic.

Thanks for the offer of radio schooling, but I think I can probably find someone a little less awful to regurgitate Valerie Geller at me.

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 18:02

"I watch a lot of sports on Nine. Every single one of their commentators is a wanker. Without exception. Seriously, the standards are appalling. Do keep talking yourself up. Jacqueline".

Yes they are...that's why I never watch the sports shows on there. I said I trained someone who works there, I didn't say I liked him. And it takes one to know one, Ben.

"Anyone noticed that Jacqueline Reidpath, for all her protests, is actually my biggest fan? Nobody reads me, listens to me, or responds to me more than her. She quite literally cannot tear herself away.

That’s OK. Celebrities such as myself must get used to these obsessive fan crushes".

IN YOUR DREAMS.

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 18:16

"Hey Jacqui, sorry if I misled you before - when I said I was sorry you didn’t like it… I was being sarcastic.

Thanks for the offer of radio schooling, but I think I can probably find someone a little less awful to regurgitate Valerie Geller at me".

You know what, Cam - I do recognise sarcasm when I see it, as you never saw through mine.

Never heard of Valerie Geller - and I was being tongue-in-cheek, obviously you don't get my sense of humour either.

Gee, awful is a strong word - since you don't know me I can only assume you meant my words were awful.
Because that would be politically correct. Either way, I won't lose any sleep over it.

I give credit where credit is due and honest when I think it isn't. It is nothing personal and purely from an analytical point of view.

You two just haven't worked that one out yet.

Crazy Elf
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 22:33

"Your arrogance is only exceeded by your ignorance."

No no no, you don't understand! He's a channel nine sports presenter. They have a history of being rapists recently.

- <a href=http://crazyelf.livejournal.com>Got Elf?</a>

Crazy Elf
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 22:35

Oh my God, I see the problem now.

- <a href=http://crazyelf.livejournal.com>Got Elf?</a>

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 23:04

CS, I might ask you the same question.

Regrettably for you, yes I am.

I am not a figment of your imagination, as much as you would probably like me to be ;)

You have a nice evening, now, won't you :)

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 23:12

While you're chortling your head off with with two cohorts there, Crazy Elf, appears you have a fixation with Channel Nine sports commentators - done and dusted, seppuku pirate - or do you plan on putting this in your next act.

Oh, wait - someone already got there ahead of you :)

BPobjie
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 23:14

I assumeed you were being sarcastic, as you so often are, you puckish little comedian you.

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 23:17

"Oh my God, I see the problem now.

Jacqueline, are you upset that he and the team chose a 19 year old girl over you? That must be hard. I guess you can only train them so much".

You are so obscene, vulgar and totally classless, Crazy Elf.

I see your problem - you are upset that you weren't one of them.

Your fixation, not mine.

Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 23:26

" "And by the way, Ben - I actually did respond to an article of yours some weeks back which I thought was funny and the only time you respond to me is when I say something negative." "

Well, it seems that you are getting a feel for my humour, now, doesn't it ;)

Sarcasm is one of the more subtle forms of wit and as you saw, it can be so easily miscontrued. But I haven't even got started yet - what can I say, it's in the genes.

Hmmm...puckish little comedian, eh...I always liked that little dude.

Ringo
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 23:49

Haha, easily miscontrued - that's a great one Jacqueline. Are you sarcastically being not funny?

What can I say? You make no sense.

Posted Friday, June 12, 2009 - 08:43

Ringo - I was actually addressing Ben but whatever.

Humour is in the eye of the beholder, some people get sarcasm and some don't - clearly you fall into the latter category.

camsmith
Posted Friday, June 12, 2009 - 09:03

"What can I say? You make no sense."

Seriously.

Ringo
Posted Friday, June 12, 2009 - 09:28

Jacqueline, as someone who says, "Humour is in the eye of the beholder", why do you keep telling everyone else what is funny and what isn't?

Posted Friday, June 12, 2009 - 19:06

Cam

What is so hard to understand that something which is funny to one person is not funny to someone else??

Seriously, it requires no great analytical process.

Ringo - when I say something is not funny it means it is not funny TO ME.

That requires no great analytical process either.

camsmith
Posted Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 08:26

Jacqui, I get that you have no sense of humour. Trust me - everyone does.

What is hard to understand is why a lady of your advanced years would feel the need to act in such a juvenile fashion on the internet. Might be time to grow up, love.

Posted Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 11:38

Cam

This could go on forever and a day, this little debate about whether or not I have a sense of humour. What an arrogant thing to say.

The real issue here is, you don't like it when somebody doesn't think you're funny and says so.

I have a very wicked sense of humour actually, you're just pissed off because I'm not laughing at yours or agreeing with the Boys' Club.

How would you know whether I am advanced in years (presumptuous and none of your business) and so what if I am - nothing whatever to do with my sense of humour.

So because I state my opinion in a forthright manner, like a lot of other people here, that is juvenile? If someone keeps coming at me I am going to respond - you came after me, not the other way around; that is what I call juvenile.

You know what, you're the one who should grow up and accept that some people just don't like what you do and no amount of insults is going to change that. This is nothing personal, I just call it as I see it, the same as many others on this board and you don't go after them.

You don't like what I have to say and likewise - so how about just agreeing to disagree, call a truce and move on...

I am sure you have more important things to do, the same as I do.

Have a nice day.

UnionMade
Posted Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 16:47

I laughed and laughed and laughed some more! I was most disappointed when it finished.

It's great that someone is taking the mickey out of the rubbish the media puts forward as news.

P.S. In comedy, nothing is sacred....and that is the way it should be!

P.P.S. Jacqueline, your right to be humorless is accepted. Can you now stop telling us over and over again how humorless you are? It's so passe.......and boring.

camsmith
Posted Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 17:08

"Not going to respond to any deabte over my opinion so don’t bother."

BPobjie
Posted Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 23:35

Do you think she means it?

Posted Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 14:02

Union Made, Ben and Cam

If you boys can't accept that not everybody enjoys crude, type humour then you never will.

I suggest you all volunteer yourselves at the nearest taxidermy parlour.

UnionMade
Posted Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 19:09

Jacqueline,

No. 1. I am a woman. (Do you think you were being just a little "presumptuous'?)

No. 2. Why should I "volunteer...at the nearest taxidermy parlour"? (I certainly hope that wasn't an example of your "very wicked sense of humour"? If it was, admit defeat on the humour front and let us get back to enjoying what we love most.......SATIRE!)

Boys, can I join your club please?

UnionMade

BPobjie
Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 - 06:52

Ah, Jacqueline, I had such high hopes when you said you weren't going to respond. Your flagrant dishonesty disappoints me.

camsmith
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 - 02:13

"Jacqueline, are you upset that he and the team chose a 19 year old girl over you? That must be hard. I guess you can only train them so much."

As obnoxious as Jacqueline might be, this sort of comment is really not on.