19 Sep 2012

MPs Are Out Of Touch With The Rest Of Us

By New Matilda

A hefty majority of MPs today voted against marriage equality. They're out of step with community sentiment - and they're fighting a battle they can't hope to win

What do Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull have in common?

They all voted against Labor MP Stephen Jones' marriage equality bill in the House of Representatives today. It's not just the PM who is out of touch with community sentiment, it's also the main contenders for her job. 98 MPs put marriage rights for same-sex couples on hold — and 42 voted in favour.

As many have pointed out, the proportion of MPs who voted against the bill — 65 per cent — is roughly equivalent to the level of support for gay marriage in Australia.

Cory Bernardi resigned as parliamentary secretary today after making obnoxious comments likening same-sex marriage to bestiality. Opposition Leader Tony Abbott described those comments as "ill disciplined" and praised Bernardi for his political talents.

Bernardi might have been consigned to the backbench but his view on same-sex marriage was upheld by a resounding majority of MPs. Wayne Swan rebuked Tony Abbott for his weak response to Bernardi — but he too joined Abbott in voting against marriage rights for all Australians.

The speeches delivered on marriage equality allowed some senators and parliamentarians to flaunt their homophobia and to vaunt an idea of family that is out of step with the experiences of millions of Australians — gay or straight.

More memorable are the speeches in favour of marriage equality which will eventually hold the day. Doug Cameron and John Faulkner both made the case for the bill firmly, as did the Greens senators who have long advocated for marriage rights.

Faulkner put it plainly: "I support this bill because I believe that no government should deny rights to any citizen on the basis of race, sex, religion, country of origin or sexual preference." It's notable that marriage equality is a plank of the ALP national policy platform.

Senator Penny Wong has been the most prominent ALP advocate for marriage equality and she addressed the Senate on the bill this morning.

"The aspiration and struggle for equality has been a constant in our history. Australia hasn't always been an equal society, but ultimately we always move in the direction of greater equality."

Wong's optimism about the future of marriage equality in Australia is rousing.

"Our numbers have grown, as the numbers of those who oppose marriage equality have got smaller. The momentum has been one way. Many of my colleagues who have previously opposed marriage equality, now support it."

Those 98 MPs who voted against marriage equality today are fighting that momentum. If they aren't prepared to move toward greater equality, it is certain that the heirs to their seats eventually will.

BenHeslop
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 17:20

Wow thanks for the summary NM. Now I am definitely up-to-date.

Ben Heslop
www.ceisys.com

davedave
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 22:55

One of the things I always find strange. People keep quoting this statistic that most australians are for same sex marriage, based on some survey.
I, all my family, and ALL of my firends have never been asked or seen this supposed survey. None of my family or friends knows of even one person who has seen this survey.
what were the questions asked?
When were they asked?
Can anyone track down this survey used to support same sex marriage?
I would just be curios to test its accuracy and thoroughness and impartiality to ensure it was an honest and representative survey.
And before the Glebe treehuggers come out with machetes or refuse to vote into the bowling or what ever club.haha!!
I heartily support same sex marriage but would just love confirmation of real community attitiudes. My friends and family don't happen to be a wide enough sample to represent australia

This user is a New Matilda supporter. Bluebec
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 14:43

No just "gay or straight" but also bisexual, lesbian, trans*, intersex, queer and questioning.

Gay is not an umbrella term for the LGBTIQ (or QUILTBAG as I prefer) community.

IanN86
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 16:12

It's not just for gay marriage that our pollies like to ignore majority views. Try euthanasia. Why is it that they fear the religious lobbies so much? Tasmania has shown that they are paper tigers...

How about our involvement in Afghanistan? Surely another example where majority views are ignored. Not the God Botherers this time, just subservience to US foreign policy. Ditto re Israel....

When are we all going to get angry enough about these things to make our bipartisan leaders aware that it's not good enough?

Dr Dog
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 - 14:15

davedave, perhaps you could cut to the chase and simply ask your family what they think.

jewels63
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 17:08

Its obviously not a civil/human rights issues for the MP's - when an alarming amount of them have religious convictions of a Christian variety and are active in Parliament prayer groups and in their communities.
Even though my MP for Blair said in his maiden speech he is a Christian but knows the difference between Church and State - not voting to change a secular Marriage Act shows he is an ambitious man on the side of patriarchal, Christian ideology of the last couple of thousand years, and will enhance this status within the many faith disciplines spouting up everywhere when he goes and gives a sermon now and again.
He likes that.
I appreciate his efforts, except on this contradictory statement of perpetuating a cultural tradition that is discriminatory for the State to continue. It would do no harm to anybody but say to parents still kicking their kids out of home because they are gay and therefore the anti-christ - in civil society we respect all those who love like we learned to accept mixed race marriages etc etc. In a Parliament full of lawyers who should know better considering the cultural abuses of women through Marriage over the years.(and how long it took before you could divorce).
As for the P.M. on this - I admire her, but whether this was a totally political manouvre to prove to the Christian and other religious she may be atheist but she is not threat to their beliefs so feel safe to vote for her. Power corrupts doesn't it?

huehue91
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 20:06

Business establishments has to consider the need of each and everyone. All that matters is an open communication. - Online Reputation Management

Vipul
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 - 17:32

Glad to visit your blog, I look forward to more good articles and I think we all like to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us. Cable accessories

bestech
Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 - 22:51

As per the current real estate scenario in India, Gangaurrealtech has emerged the hottest real estate zone providing attractive infrastructure.
Real estate in gurgaon

raulb4s
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - 21:38

The campaign for marriage equality has gained considerable ground after garnering massive support at its second reading in Parliament.

MPs backed the bill by 77 votes to 44 in its second reading.

But while MPs voted overwhelmingly for the bill to progress to the next stage, the numbers weren't quite as convincing as they were at its first reading where it gained 80 votes in favour compared with 40 against. digitale optionen

an123
Posted Monday, July 15, 2013 - 17:10

Recently, OBD2 Scanner Mall group of brand new Bugatti Veyron renderings by overseas media exposure out of the new car is expected to be officially released in 2016.
Look through renderings, new Bugatti Veyron front face angular, Hot Car Accessories exaggerated aerodynamics and "embarrassing" state full headlights combined to make the new car compared to the current model stronger visual impact. In addition, the application of a large number of carbon fiber material, so that the car's curb weight compared to the 2011 Veyron Super Sport in reduced nearly 200kg.
It is reported that power systems, Wholesale Car Key Chips the new Bugatti Veyron W16 four expected to be powered by a turbocharged engine, maximum output power or a staggering 1520 horsepower, while the new car 0-100km / h acceleration time is just 1.8 seconds.

alex125
Posted Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 19:34

This interactive analysis is awesome and really helped me to understand and appreciate the symphony more than I already did. Thanks for this.  High Quality Backlinks

alex125
Posted Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 08:00

Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it’s quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since. Tucson personal injury lawyer

alex125
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 07:07

double memory foam mattress Although the Suit of Cups often plays an important role in Love Tarot, they are not the only cards that depict relationship issues. The rings are often flattened down and in the case of the Algerian Love Knot, decorated with an intricate pattern picked out in gold. double memory foam mattress

Acompanhantes SP

alex125
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 20:21

I really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for you..

Acompanhantes SP

arnie11
Posted Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 05:21

We know already how this is going to end. Marriage equality will be approved, sooner or later this will happen. I believe we should be more open minded and realize that when it comes to feeling we should be more permissive. I found a revelatory article about it on this writing service source.

alex125
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 - 06:13

This is a amazing content, Given so much details in it, These kind of content keeps the customers attention in the web page, and keep on discussing more.

Acompanhantes BH

thankyou
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 16:42

le style de lunettes de soleil d'été plus, il ya généreux ovale hexagonal, orthorhombique et d'autres types,,. En faisant le choix, la taille peut être Armani lunettes de soleil adéquatement plus. La plupart n'ont pas de lunettes de soleil luminosité ne peut pas pupillaire limitations de distance lunettes de soleil ray ban parcourue, le miroir est légèrement plus grand peut rendre la vision plus ouvert, mais aussi le poids du bras de lunettes et moyenne dispersés dans le nez des oreilles. En général, les lunettes tourisme légèrement plus que les lunettes ordinaires de préférence 4-6 mm.

bryandevans9
Posted Monday, August 12, 2013 - 16:50

I have no idea what this marriage , I think everything should be natural . MPs probably have much work to do. I'm going back to Vietnam tours.

alex125
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 05:20

I don't read post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it!

camera espiã

joson
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 14:45

I enjoyed reading you post. Usually writing skills is attained via practice: e.

I am sharing it with my other friends on social networking sites, as

the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work.

Omega watches

Agnesa
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:53

Experience RuneScape as never RuneScape 3 Gold before with our new HTML5 game engine. Register your interest to take part in the RuneScape 3 beta RS 3 Gold . RuneScape 3 is a large collection of features Jagex is currently working on, Buy RS 3 Gold including improved...

Agnesa
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:53

Go to buy Ragnarok2 Zeny to buy cheap Ro Zeny,Iro Zeny,Ragnarok Zeny,Ragnarok accounts,Ragnarok guides,Ragnarok power leveling,Ragnarok powerleveling service.We provide the latest news for Ro Zeny(money). cheap Ragnarok2 Zeny is supplying cheap Ro zeny,Iro zeny,Ragnarok zeny,Ragnarok online items and Ragnarok online accounts on all Ragnarok Online servers including private ones. cheap RO2 Zeny With our excellent powerleveling service,you can keep away from hacks or bots and get Ro zeny and good items easily.Buy Ragnarok Online stuff?Choose.

Agnesa
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:53

Legit NeverWinter Gold Neverwinter Gold at MMO Game master site. NeverWinter Online Gold farmed by our real professional players. We Sell cheap NeverWinter gold, neverwinter AD buy safe gold no banned here. Abundant of neverwinter Gold hot for sale in our store! Neverwinter Money To buy neverwinter Gold with immediate delivery can help you upgrade fast. Neverwinter Astral Diamonds Efficient neverwinter Power leveling ensure you enjoy more fun!

Agnesa
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:53

Guild Wars 2 Gold PC at GameSpy - Check out the latest cheap GW2 Gold cheats, cheat codes, walkthroughs, guides, videos and more!IGN is the Buy Guild Wars 2 Gold (PC) resource with reviews, wikis, videos, trailers, screenshots, cheats, walkthroughs, previews,news and release dates.

Agnesa
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 - 10:54

Buy Dragon's Prophet Gold,Cheapest Dragons Prophet Gold Buying With Our Professional Dragon's Prophet Gold Stock In buy Dragon's Prophet Gold. Buy Cheap Dragon's Prophet from cheap Dragon's Prophet Gold with Lowest Price! We Guarantee the Cheapest Dragon's Prophet Gold Fast Delivery, We offer 24/7 online service you can place your order with Western Union, Paypal, Moneybooker and Paysafecard, Buy Dragon's Prophet Gold to enjoy our wholeheartedly customer service.

alex125
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 - 16:33

You might comment on the demonstration of the blog. You should say that it's first-class. Your blog recap shall swell up your capital.

text your wife into bed michael fiore

alex125
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 - 05:39

They Help Ward Off Dust MitesCoil mattresses with natural padding are a cheaper option, but not necessarily the healthiest. Memory foam is pressure sensitive

the girlfriend activation system

alex125
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:19

We are the beautiful and exciting productions in this section on our website, giving advice to members who enjoy found. Where a lot of the species in this section you will find only the best online spelen games. We offer our visitors the best of all time kizi. We wish you an enjoyable fun games.

WCM777

stephenecarney
Posted Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 17:52

Marriage equality is the biggest question raised from last few decades. I voted for the marraige equality men and women both have equal rights none is superior.

new york education

acompanhantes
Posted Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 23:14

This is something really interesiting. I was looking for something different but seo related and I found this article which of course is worth to try.
Thanks for sharing

acompanhantes
Posted Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 23:15

max12
Posted Monday, August 26, 2013 - 12:14

This is a very interesting post, indeed it contains valuable information that will be useful in daily lives. Continue doing such a noble profession that enhances the lives of your readers and uplift thier moral values towards life. Im looking for your future success and  updates on your site.      buy real instagram followers

garotas de prog...
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 04:30

I’m hoping to view the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal website now. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.

urgetech
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 15:27

Another weight loss tip is to eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables. It will increase your fiber intake, making you feel more full. It will also improve your GI tract health. weightlossguide.eu

urgetech
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 15:27

I have heard of coachsurfing but I have to admit Hollywood horror movies make me, an Asian, scared of living in a strangers home during my vacation weekendtripsplan.com

urgetech
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 15:28

College students, instructors and administrators, as well as any staff member in a K through 12 school, are eligible for education discounts through the Apple store. While this discount won't save you thousands of dollars, it will bring the price of many Apple products down discountstoresreviews.com

urgetech
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 15:28

Online shopping is also termed as the largest market place and its customers are increasing day by day. Youth are quite fascinated about online shopping. Moving from one shop to another is hectic task to everyone especially youth. They want everything to be done as soon as possible. themenshopping.com

urgetech
Posted Thursday, August 29, 2013 - 15:28

I have heard of coachsurfing but I have to admit Hollywood horror movies make me, an Asian, scared of living in a strangers home during my vacation optomizarseo.com

alicebia
Posted Saturday, September 7, 2013 - 06:32

Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me.Thanks for post.Regards.Thanks. We are really happy just for this post in this website.Great and complete information.

alicebia
Posted Saturday, September 7, 2013 - 06:39

taruhan bola
Posted Saturday, September 7, 2013 - 09:27

Hi there, I discovered your site by the use of Google even as searching for a comparable topic, your site came up, it looks good. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hi there, just was alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels. I'll appreciate in case you continue this in future. A lot of folks will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers! taruhan bola

alex125
Posted Sunday, September 8, 2013 - 06:57

This is the best place to spend time. I stumbled upon a chatty blog and want to say that I really enjoyed reading your blog well written articles. I'll be your regulars, that's for sure.

Divorce Lawyers Reading

alex125
Posted Monday, September 9, 2013 - 01:06

This is quite wonderful post. The article affects a lot of urgent challenges of our society. We can not be indifferent to these challenges. Your post gives the light in which we can observe our real life. car servicing deals