Jason Wilson has been writing for newmatilda.com about the media and Australian politics since 2007. He might be a reluctant member of the latte belt but he gave these 20 Questions his all …
1. Who is your favourite newmatilda.com writer?
Definitely Mr Pobjie. A revelation.
2. What’s your favourite newmatilda.com article?
I think the stories on SBS were pointing in a really interesting direction for newmatilda.com.
3. When did you first start reading newmatilda.com?
Um, 2007. I must confess I was never a subscriber when it was behind the paywall.
4. Were you surprised when you heard the sad news about newmatilda.com?
Totally. A lot of people have said they weren’t, but I felt like newmatilda.com was just hitting its straps!
5. Will newmatilda.com‘s demise make any difference to anything? (In 40 words or less. Yes, we know this is the limitless internet, but time’s tickin’ …)
Australia’s mediasphere will be immeasurably poorer, and there will be one less venue for new writers to show their stuff.
6. What was the newmatilda.com headline you always wanted to read but it never happened?
Download Our iPad App!
7. Do you subscribe to any online content? What? Why, or why not?
Yes — I am a Crikey subscriber. I now realise that you need to put your money where your mouth is if you want more independent content.
8. What campaigning tactic do you want to see in this year’s federal election?
I think we’ll all be better off if the Coalition decides to focus on the extraordinary depth of their frontbench as well as their leader’s personality.
9. Name your favourite lovable loon and rate their threat to public safety.
Tony Abbott. The threat level fluctuates with the polls.
10. Do you have any secret political crushes you’d like to share with our readers?
Would you believe Kristina Keneally?
11. Favourite retired Australian politician.
It’s hard to go past R.J.L. Hawke. I hope I am still wearing open-necked disco shirts and necking schooners at his age.
12. Name a political writer who deserves a promotion.
Possum Comitatus and Andrew Elder.
13. What do you see as the most important issue in the upcoming federal election campaign?
It’s not so much an issue as a question: can the Rudd Government manage to communicate some of its achievements in the face of an extraordinary campaign of criticism and disinformation which has been amplified across the political spectrum?
14. What subject should be compulsory in primary schools?
15. What’s the one thing you’ve always wanted to know about Australian politics but were afraid to ask?
Why does Craig Emerson do that with his hair?
16. Who should run for public office in Australia? Which one?
Rod McGuinness for Mayor of Sydney. It’s time.
17. What politician and journalist combination would you like to see stuck in a lift recording a long interview?
Glenn Milne and Eric Abetz. The longer the better.
18. What’s the one question you’d like both Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott to answer?
Oh gee, any question will do, as long as the answer is (a) true, (b) not preceded by rhetorical questions, and (c) they are wearing a suit, not a swimsuit.
19. Is the Australian media getting better, worse, or staying the same?
All three, simultaneously. I think the papers are probably getting worse, broadcast TV is where it has been for a while, but there’s still genuinely a lot of reasons to feel hope about the possibilities for independent media online.
20.What question would you like to ask us?
Is this really it?
Donate To New Matilda
New Matilda is a small, independent media outlet. We survive through reader contributions, and never losing a lawsuit. If you got something from this article, giving something back helps us to continue speaking truth to power. Every little bit counts.