The consultation process will run until the end of February. We hope that individuals and community organisations will contribute to the consultation process by lodging submissions and debating the draft Bill in our online forum. We also encourage community organisations to hold forums and submit the views of their members and supporters. Please contact us if you would like to organise a forum and we can supply expertise and help promote the event.
Download Consultation Guidelines (word )
Guidelines for Submissions
We prefer submissions to be made electronically where possible. There is no proscribed format for submissions but we ask that you note the following:
- Submissions must clearly state your name, address and contact details. Where the submission is from an organisation, please clearly state the full name of the organisation. However, we will not publish people’s contact details; we will keep them in our records.
- Submissions may be in the form of a letter, a short document or a substantial paper and may include appendices and other supporting documents.
- Submissions must be dated.
- Submissions should be addressed to: Human Rights Committee, New Matilda
- Submissions should address all or a selection of the questions outlined for the consultation process.
- It is helpful if submissions have numbered paragraphs.
- Submissions may contain facts, opinions, arguments and recommendations for changes to the draft Bill.
Review of Submissions & Amendment to the Act
Submissions will be reviewed and the draft Bill will be refined following the close of the Consultation Phase in February 2006. Accommodating amendments recommended by submissions may not be possible in all cases and an effort will be always be made to ensure that the final bill tabled in parliament is constitutionally valid and honours Australia’s obligations under international human rights treaties and conventions.
Presentation of Submissions
In addition to providing important advice on the detail of the finalised Act, written submissions will form an important part of the supporting documentation for the Bill. Submissions will be appended to the Bill in briefings to MPs and organisations that make submissions will be credited for their contributions.
Comment & Debating Online
New Matilda also has an online forum where individuals can make informal comments on the Bill and participate in debates about it. If you are a New Matilda subscriber you can use your normal username and password. If you are not a New Matilda subscriber, you will have to register to get a forum username and password. Registration for this is free.
View consultation questions and submissions received- click here.
Please contact Nick Carney, Executive Officer of Human Rights Act Campaign, if you have any queries at email@example.com or on (02) 9211 1635.
Donate To New Matilda
New Matilda is a small, independent media outlet. We survive through reader contributions, and never losing a lawsuit. If you got something from this article, giving something back helps us to continue speaking truth to power. Every little bit counts.